At the IAA in 1955, the former Daimler-Benz AG presented the L 319 and also introduced its minibus partner, the O 319. In the following year, the vehicle with 10 to 18 seats was available in functional variants as both a line bus for commuter traffic and also tour bus versions. The top-of-the-line model with two-color paintwork, roof-edge glazing, folding sliding roof and luxury seats for ten passengers rounded out the program.
1956 – 1968
from 1956 Mannheim / from 1962 Düsseldorf
Diesel engnes 32 kW (43hp), later up to 55hp / Gasoline engines 48 kW (65)
1.6 – 1.8 tonnes
Gross vehicle weight
The minibuses were initially manufactured at the production plant in Mannheim. When the production site was relocated to Sindelfingen in 1962, the bus production was also relocated to Düsseldorf. The O 319 was soon regarded as a symbol of the economic miracle and became a key influence on the career of the entire model family.
Photos: Kai Knörzer